Sunday, March 11, 2012

Teaching

Some of my favorite teaching quotes are:
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." OR
"When the teacher is ready, the student will appear."

As you may know, I am a substitute teacher, which helps give me a little income to supplement my political and techological pursuits. I taught all last week ranging from middle school down to life skills. I like that I can be done at the end of the day and I'm almost forced to leave the work at school.

If I were teaching full-time, I think I would almost breath it, live it all the timw. When I had a long-term sub position, I'd wake up in the middle of the night thinking about my lesson plans for the next day, or I'd be thinking about how I could reach particular students. Next week, I am scheduled to teach in my friend's classroom. Since I know what the students have been working on, I've already thought about two lesson plans I want to teach that day.

I also agreed to sub for someone who has possible jury duty. That could turn into a two week job or it could fall apart completely. I already am giving up one day (or had to turn down a day of teaching for my friend) to leave myself open for this.

Anyway, teaching and learning is a lifelong process. The next thing I need to work on learning is more technology. I have a couple of websites I need to work on.

No comments: